Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rubbed Mica Distress with Sandra Strait's Tangles and Kromecote

Today I created a notecard with my teammate Sandra Strait's new tangled background stamp. This Rubbed Mica Distress technique that I created using Kromecote paper and Terri Sproul Mixers is super easy and makes an interesting aged appearance to the image. 

For this project you will need:
Black Archival Ink
Versamark Distress Ink
Soft Bristle Brush
Soft Cloth
Card Stock


You begin by covering the Kromecote with Versamark Watermark Ink...note the rectangle shape of the pad as I pressed and lifted repeatedly to cover the paper. Next with my soft brush I pounced on mica powder to cover the ink. Once covered I dusted lightly with the brush to remove the excess.


I then inked my background stamp with Archival ink and pressed into the mica covered Kromecote. I love how it look like it stamps under the mica powder.

Next I buffed the Kromecote with a soft cloth to remove the top layer. The mica powders dye the Kromecote and Archival Ink settles nicely into the paper leaving a distressed but shiny look. Finally I inked up the pen stamp and the drawing sentiment with the Archival Ink and stamped on top of my Rubbed Mica Distress to create the top image for my note card.
\
I edged the trimmed Kromecote with Archival Ink and mounted it onto a piece of brown card stock with Miracle Tape. Thank you for looking! I hope you enjoyed my technique and project.

How I store my stamps
I thought I would also share with you how I tend to my Viva Las Vegastamps! When I get my new plates of rubber, I trim out around the stamps I want to use on the plates [most of the time it's EVERY stamp]. I place them on a piece of mounting foam that is adhesive on one side and cling film on the other. After I trim out my stamps I can store them on cardboard sheets that will hold the cling film stamps. I have a 12×12 box that holds my cardboard sheets and my acrylic stamping blocks.


5 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Such a lovely notecard! I'm thrilled that you used one of my stamps!

Antoinette/Cultivate Life in Joy said...

Wow..this turned out awesome..absolutely love how the stamp looks like it is..in the background..it turned out lovely. thanks for sharing that technique

Anonymous said...

Too frigging crazy, I am dancing...wel in my head. Soooooooo happy for you.

Barbara Rankin said...

What a cool technique on this card. Love the way it looks. TFS.

DIYDesignStudio said...

so lovely! THANKS for sharing