Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Art journal page - Believe in yourself

Hi everyone,

I'm in love with the latest release and want to share a project that features some of the new stamps. So here's a new art journal page for you.

 


As a base layer I applied some chalk paints with a brayer. I mixed some blue and yellow tones and really liked how the colors work together. The paints dry very fast, especially when you apply them in a thin layer with the brayer. This helps to avoid getting muddy colors. I added some script stamping in ochre to create just a little more visual texture (not yet in the picture below).

Next, I started to build a cluster that will be my focal point and therefore used scraps and stamps. I stamped the zodiac wheel in brown onto a die cut circle with a notebook edge that I had laying on my desk. It was already colored with an ink spray, but I cannot remember which one. I also found another scrap that I wanted to use. It had a beautiful stain of some oxide ink and a torn edge on one side. I simply stamped the eclipse chart on top and inked the straight edges.

The cluster needed something more and I added some torn book pages with inked edges to it as well as a piece of lace. This is hardly visible, both in the picture and in reality, but it adds some nice texture to the project. I glued the cluster down and added some splatters with acrylic ink.

 

At this point I liked my cluster, but also felt that there was something missing regarding my whole composition. I thought it would be nice if I had added the fortune teller stamp before I glued down my cluster. So I cheated a little and used my favorite fixing trick. I stamped her onto a piece of white napkin (make sure to use just one layer) and glued that down with matte medium, slightly under the circle so that it looks as if she is behind that. Luckily, I had a background that was not reacting with wet medium. The edges of the napkin turned almost invisible.


To finish the page, I stamped the quote "believe in yourself" and called this page done.

 

Here are a few more photos of the finished page:

 

Stamps used:
French Writing Background (20646)
Eclipse Chart (20614)
Zodiac Wheel (20619)
Gypsy Fortune Teller (20616)
Believe In Yourself (20643)


Other material:
- Marabu chalk paint (lagoon, light-blue, pastel yellow, ginger)
- brayer
- Versafine Clair ink (nocturne)
- Archival ink (pale ochre, potting soil)
- Acrylic ink (sepia)
- Joy! crafts - "notebook circles" die
- scraps, old book paper and lace


See you soon!


No comments: