Friday, March 13, 2020

Shopping your stash - Alcohol Ink Art with Josefine

Hands up if you have craft supplies that you've bought a long time ago and then never really knew what to do with it. Probably not just one thing, but several, right? One of those items for me are alcohol inks. I like the effects but everytime when I attempted a project I never knew what to do with it. So, again I was looking through my random craft stash and grabbed my alcohol inks (and between us, I have quite a few bottles...). This time, I was determined to make something with it. Ha!


A few weeks back, I found small panels for the use with alcohol inks at my local Hobby Lobby. They were on sale and I decided that this is the sign for me to try it one more time. As you can imagine it took me a few more weeks till I then finally decided to use them. 

First panel, and I added a few drops of alcohol ink with the blender. The colors looked nice, but I was not really convinced. Texture was missing, so I went with the Police Tag and some Alcohol Lift ink. And voila, much better.


Of course, I had to experiment with a few layers of alcohol ink. You can see that my fingers started to switch colors too.


One more panel. Different color scheme now. But I'm starting to see why people like them.


I ended up with five different panels. All using a mix of alcohol inks and alcohol pearls. I guess, it is quite fun. But then again - what to do with them? 


So, I continued with the Alcohol Lift ink, but a different pattern. The Punchinella/ Sequin border looked really nice.


For whatever reason it took some time for all that ink to dry, so while waiting, I stamped the Pair of butterfly wings onto a scrap piece of paper, fuzzy cut it out and adhered it behind a paper doll. At this time, I wasn't sure what to do with it.


I actually let the alcohol panels sit over night and continued with some more texture the next day. Trying white pigment ink turned out to be very interesting. The partial scribble adds a fun feeling to it.


Adding one more item from my "lost craft stash" - glow in the dark embossing powder. By now, I knew that I wanted to create a cohesive piece with these 5 art panels, so one had to have a sentiment on it. Since I had the paper doll ready to go, I thought this "you are beautiful" sentiment works well.


A few more extras, like this stitching lines on the border of two of the pieces and some cross marks using colored archival ink and white pigment ink interchangeably. 


And at the end, I adhered them to a small, long canvas. As you can see, I added a bit of foil to one of the alcohol inked panels. I did that while it was still wet. Just a bit more glimmer, that's all :)


Here you can see in a bit more detail the dimension that the different stamp techniques added - a mix of lift ink and stamping on top with colored and white ink.


And of course, the glow in the dark sentiment. Pretty neat.


Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed my little experiment using craft supplies that are usually hidden somewhere in my craft room.

Stamps I used:


2 comments:

Julie S said...

Very cool. Don't forget those Copic reinkers, too!

HolyLise said...

Thanks, Julie :) thankfully, I never bought Copic reinkers, but I know that there are a lot collecting dust in those drawers. Thanks for the reminder!!! :)