Monday, April 22, 2019

"Love.Repeat" Art Journal Page | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone!
Sue Plumb here with my latest design team project for you. Today I have a mixed media art journal page to share that I created using a variety of stamps, inks, and assorted collage materials. This piece was inspired by a gorgeous art journal page shared last month by Jenn Engle. (You can see Jenn's page HERE) I really loved the balance between colour and white space on Jenn's page and wanted to create something similar - but with my own twist, of course.


I was working in my 9x6" Jane Davenport journal for this one (it has watercolour paper pages and takes wet media fairly well with no bleed through). I started by putting down multiple layers of Colour Blast Colour Artist Ink; drying between each one with a heat gun to get the "hard" water lines.


Once I had the colour down, I began adding some structure. I started with the Punchinella/Sequin Waste Border; which I stamped vertically using black Staz On ink.


Next, I used the Double Coffee Rings stamp with 'Mowed Lawn' Distress Oxide; stamping it several times over the top. 


I then used the Cross Marks Background with black Staz On to add some marks around the edges of the colour.


Now it was time to add some texture to my page. I used small torn pieces of washi tape and some snippets of punchinella.


I also added a piece of paper doily, some plasterer's tape, and some frayed gauze - all layered in the central focal point of the page.


I then stamped out the focal image for my page using the Squiggle Heart stamp and Staz On ink onto some white cardstock and fussy cut around it. I used a shimmery watercolour paint to colour the heart before sticking it down onto the page.


To finish off, I stamped the sentiment Love.Repeat a few times and then splattered a little bit of blue ink around the edges.


I was really happy with how this page came out - thank you Jenn for the inspiration!


That's all from me today, thanks for stopping by. I hope I have inspired you to get inky too!

Stamps used:
Punchinella/Sequin Waste Border
Double Coffee Rings
Cross Marks Background
Squiggle Heart
Love.Repeat

Other materials:
- Jane Davenport art journal
- Colour Blast Colour Artist Inks
- Tsukineko Staz On ink
- Ranger Distress Oxide
- Colour Blast Colour Shimmer Cube
- Assorted collage materials (as listed in post above)

1 comment:

Mixedmediajenn said...

This is amazing, Sue! You really did put your own creative twist on it and it looks fantastic! And thanks for the shoutout. <3