Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Pencil Case Makeover

Hello VLV STAMP lovers! Fiona here with you today to share a little pictorial tutorial on how I gave my pencil case a makeover using the gorgeous new stamps by the very talented  Corrie Herriman and Tera Callihan.



I bought this little gem at K-Mart. It is made from canvas that has been dipped in a matt rubber covering on the bottom. It is very cool and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to give it a makeover!



I began by giving it a light coat of gesso and once that was dry I started to collage some old book pages, music sheets, stamps and other ephemera onto the gesso with some matt gel medium. While I waited for the first layer of gel medium to dry, I stamped out some of the girls new designs onto some old book paper and coloured them using some water soluble pastels. You could use anything you liked to give them some colour. Then I cut out and layered the stamped images on top of the layer of ephemera and gave it another coat of matt gel medium.



Next I added some white contrast with ultra white gesso. I scraped it over with a palette knife, then with my finger I added just a touch of black contrast using some black acrylic paint then finally I added my colour element. I only choose three colours to add because there was already a lot of colour going on with the stamped images.



Speaking of stamped images ..... I wanted a feature piece so I chose the Whimsical Lettered Man and stamped him in a place where there wasn't as much going on with some black Archival ink. 

Tip: Place a hard cover book inside the pencil case to press onto when you stamp. It gives you a nice firm surface to work with.


Lastly .... and this is the best bit ... I added some white paint pen marks over the top of the black areas, I scribbled randomly and with my non dominant hand all over the front with a led pencil, I then outlined roughly any areas I wanted to enhance using a black biro (ball point pen) and then finally I added a little bit more black stamping with the little star and heart and some acrylic SPLASH! Ink.

Here is a list of the Viva Las Vegastamps I used:





I think you'll agree it looks much funkier now!!

Thanks for popping in to take a look and I'll see you all again soon xx




6 comments:

Corrie Herriman said...

Fantastic Fiona ! Love it !
Corrie x

Cheetarah said...

wow, this is absolutely gorgeous!

Tera Callihan said...

This is so cool! I love it!

Unknown said...

Awesome Fiona, Love it and am inspired to give it a go. I have been looking for a suitable case with a good surface to work on - running to Kmart :) xxx

Heather McMahon said...

This is completely and utterly AWESOME!

Chark said...

coolness!