Saturday, April 20, 2013

The great ATC swap!

April 11th I went to an Art Retreat with some crafty friends I've met on line over the years from Ustream. Its was a blast!  One of the things we did was an ATC swap. It didn't take me long to make 25 ATC's. And no there not 25 people going, its just how many I made. I had the backgrounds done for a while and sitting in my stash, so all I had to do was cut them to ATC size and stamp and decorate away.

I used 3 different sentiments stamps and 4 Mary Vogal Lozinak images. The 4 images I used were Bird head on stick, Flamingositting bird, One eye monster, and jump rope girl. The 3 sentiments I used were If you have crazy friends you have everything, I'm not insane, and I'm not weird.The background are all different  But I am surprise on how many stamps I used for this project. lol I stamped them all on white cardstock in black Versafine ink pad and embossed with Ultra high gloss clear embossing powder. I colored them with watercolor by Artist loft. The Jump rope girl I added some stickles to the circles of her dress. I stuck them down with Miracle tape.The sentiments I cut in to pieces and glued them on the ATC's Glossy Accents.

One set of backgrounds I did was using water down craft paints and sprays on some glossy paper or Kromecote and then placing the plastic wrap over it. Let it dry. Once its dried you get some cool texture background.

The other background I did was a left over piece of white cardstock that I had dragged some sprays  through to get some cool effects. These I added the six hexagon background and brick background and made some washi tape with the washi tape backgrounds stamps using the Chevron, grid and reverse grid.

The 3rd set of background I did was bubble background using dish soap. You can also use kids bubbles. I poured some dish soap in a small dish and a straw I blew some bubbles and then sprayed some sprays like Lindy's stamp gang, or S.E.I. Tumble dyes, or Color wash. Then I took some glossy cardstock and Kromecote and dragged them trough the bubbles. After that To add more color to it I added some drips with the sprays.

The last background is an old school technique with wax paper resist technique on glossy paper or in this case Kromecote. Instead of crumpling the wax paper for texture I used a embossing folder by Sizzix with the wax paper. After I ran the folders through my big shot. I tool a piece of Kromecote and put the wax paper on top if it then placed a piece of copy paper on top of that. That's so the wax doesn't mess up your iron. I used my craft iron to melt the wax on to the Kromecote. Then I took my brayer and an ink pad and put some color on it to get the resit from the wax paper. 
This one I used one of the retro texture fades by Tim Holtz and Mowed Lawn Distress ink pad.

The ATC's from that paper

This one I used a diamond embossing folder and Black Soot distress ink pad and then for more fun I  dragged this piece through some bubbles.
The results of that.

 After I cut all the backgrounds to size I glued them on to light-wight cereal box chipboard. I edge the edges with black craft paint.

And what to put the ATC's in after I get them a little book of course! 

The "pages" of the book are 12 x12 papers from Crowded Attic, Lost and Found and Destination by Tim Holtz. I scored  them at 1/2" 2 1/2",6",9 1/2 ans 11 1/2. Then turn it and scored at 3,6, and 9. then folded all the score lines. The book cover  is made out of chipboard that I covered in scrapbook paper.I used Miracle tape to attach the papers to the chipboard along with Aleen's tacky to insure it sticks. I used rubber bands (you can also use hair bands or those shaped band bracelets the kids wear)to attached the pages to the book at the first crease. This way you pull the page out.

The spine where you see the brightly color bands, I dyed some May Arts trim with Espresso Color wash. The one trim was a cream with tan check squares on it. It took the color awesome. I also dyed some of the Raffia by May Arts which turned out great. I also used some brown twain too. I tied them to the rubber bands.

The cover I cut out the one sheet of the Destination paper where it has the alphabet ala license plates. I spelled out Austin ATC. I attached those pieces with Miracle tape. I punched a hole on the front and back cover. The front I put a hitch post, the back I put an eyelet. I made my closure with a swivel clap with some charms in my stash. I put the clasp through the eyelet and one of the charms around the hitch post. On white cardstock I stamped the Texas Barbecue and Woot! with black Memento ink pad. I then distressed them with Vintage photo and Walnut stain distress ink pads. Attached them with Miracle tape.

Stamps used

Bird Head on stick
Sitting Bird
Jump rope girl
One eye monster
If you have crazy
I'm not insane
I'm not weird
Washi chevron background
Washi grid background
Washi reverse grind background
Six hexagon background
brick background
Texas Barbecue

Items used
Miracle tape
May Arts
photo paper
various sprays
kids bubbles or dish washing soap
wax paper
plastic wrap
water down craft paints
glossy card stock
craft iron
embossing folders
water brush
lightweight chipboard
Mowed Lawn Black Soot, Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo distress ink pads
Black graft paint
Aileen's tacky
Tim Holtz Scrapbook paper
Tim Holtz Hitch post
Tim Holtz swivel claps
Scrapbook papers
rubber bands

Don't forget Viva Las VegaStamps! is having free shipping until April 25! Great way to stock up on Miracle tape and  to get the new rubber stamps that are now out! :) Code is "freeshipping"


happyDiane said...

I was lucky enough to see these in person! and I now own one!

Chark said...

very cool!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Great "stuff"! and I love that book