Thursday, August 20, 2020

Use Your Wings for Good

 

 

 

 

Super fun card that could be expanded into an art journal page fairly easily. Background was mostly Distress alcohol inks and oxides, with some stenciling across, stitched and fussy cut moths were layered over everything using glue and foam tape. 

Supplies:

Deathhead Moth 3 X 1 3/4

White Cardstock (60 pound or heavier is great)

Alcohol Inks in Reds, Orange and Purple

Blending Solution for Alcohol Inks

Permanent Black Ink

Pigment White Ink

Sewing machine with pink thread (optional)

Distress Oxides in Fossilized Amber and Wilted Violet 

Foam circular blending sponge

Mesh Stencil

Foam Tape

Glue

Instructions:

I usually try to make a bunch of backgrounds all at once in order to save on clean up and ink as I go. If you worry about getting ink on your hands, you can always use simple plastic gloves, but usually, I just go for it and use a Styrofoam tray to lay my white, pre-cut cards into. This paper was just cheap white card stock, porous and I cut them into standard sized postcard sizes. For probably an hour I just made all sorts of experimental color combos, using blending solution and then, allowing them to dry. The one I ended up using had a red-orange-purple combo that was pretty nifty.

Using permanent black ink, I stamped down two of the moths.  After they were dry, I took one of my sponges and dabbed it into the white pigment ink, then lightly stamped that onto the surface of the card leaving faint white circles. 

Sewing machine was ready with pink thread I had, so I just made a quick, loose border surrounding the images at the edges of the card in an enclosed rectangle.

After, I pulled out my Distress Oxides (Fossilized Amber and Wilted Violet) and went to town, blending across the surface and using this stencil to add more color and depth.
Stamping three of the moths on a white sheet of cardstock, I ended up coloring them with some pencils I had, then fussy cut them out.
Foam tap was doubled up on one of them, the next one had one layer and the last one, was glued directly to the cardstock.
The text came from a Tim Holtz sticker set, which completed the card.

No comments: