Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Adventure Awaits - ICAD

Hi everyone,

This year's ICAD challenge is almost over and today's index card is already no. 60 out of 61. Of course, I had to do one more with some VLVS stamps that I want to share with you today. It's a simple one and you could easily recreate this design for a card. So I'm giving you a quick overview about how I made this.


I started with collaging old book page fragments for my background. I added a layer of gesso as well as some Distress Paints so it does not appear too busy.
I chose the world map for my background, but wanted it to kind of fade into the background. Therefore, I did some second generation stamping, which means that I stamped the image onto a scrap paper and then onto my card without reinking the stamp. This way you can get a lighter impression.
To finish the background I used a blending tool to ink the egdes in brown.


For the focal points I used another trick: My background had some texture from the book pages, but there were some fine details in the stamps I wanted to use. So instead of stamping them directly onto the card, I used a napkin (one of the white layers when you seperate the napkin). I like using pigment ink for this technique because the impression is a bit better and even with a stamping platform I'm not able to stamp the image twice.
After leaving the napkin to dry for a minute or two, I tore the images (a slightly wet brush helps) and glued them to the card with matte medium. Make sure you don't use this technique on a water-reacvtive background.


Just added the quote that I stamped onto another piece of a book page and that's it for my card.




Stamps used:

Other material:
- Index card 3 x 5 inch
- old book/ledger paper
- Archival Ink (Potting soil, Blue violet)
- Versafine Ink (Onyx black)
- Distress Paint (Stormy sky, Broken China, Tumbled glass)
- napkin (white or plane layer from seperating printed napkins)
- matte gel medium (not a heavy one)


See you soon!


No comments: