Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Black is the new black

Hi everyone,

today I want to share an index card I created. It's ICAD time, which means that I'm creating an artsy index card every day in June and July. And of course, I had to make one with a couple of VLVS stamps.




I started by smooshing some Distress Inks onto my index card. I did this in two layers. For the first one I used three purple tones. After drying this layer, I added some orange and yellow and dried it again.




To create some kind of a bokeh effect, I sprinkled some bigger water drops on the card, dried that with a heat tool and repeated the process. I just love this way of creating layers with water reactive inks.



For more background texture, I stamped some stars and dates to the card.



I also used the charred wood stamp along with embossing ink and some embossing powder from Lindy's to create another background layer. After that I inked the edges of my card with black Archival Ink.



As my focal image, I chose the raven stamp. I cut him out, distressed parts of the edges a little with my scissors (big bang for the buck!) and darkened the edges with a black marker so it blends in nicely.



I then just placed the raven and some black thread on my index card.



The contrast between the background and the deep black turned out super cool. Great inspiration that led to the quote stamp that I used to finish off the card: black is the new black. I heat embossed that with the same powder that I used in my background, this time just on black cardstock. I cut the quote into smaller pieces, distressed the edges and glued it onto the card.



And here we go, this is the finished card:







Stamps used:
Stars (19291)
Library Return Dates (20342)
Charred Wood Background (16387)
Raven Looking Up (20269)
Black Is The New (20507)


Other materials:
- index card, 3 x 5 inch
- Canson watercolor paper
- black cardstock
- Distress Inks (Shaded Lilac, Seedless Preserves, Wilted Violet, Mustard Seed, Ripe Persimmon)
- Archival Ink Jet Black
- Versafine Ink Onyx Black
- Versamark Ink
- Lindy's Gang Carefree Verdigris Chunky Embossing Powder
- black thread


Hope you like my card. And if you're not already participating ICAD, it might be worth a try.


See you soon,



No comments: