Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Into the Abyss~ Altered Altoid Tin

Greetings, stampers! It's Amy here today, to share an altered Altoid tin I made into a fun little "shrine" of sorts on the inside.
I used a regular Altoids tin, and covered it with vintage book pages in layers (on both the inside and outside), using gel medium. When those were dry, I added a layer of copper paint, that had been thinned in half with water........to cover the entire tin and papers. This half paint mixture allowed the papers to show through, and gave a cool realistic metallic shimmer.
abyss bottom tin
For the outside of the tin, I added flicks of turquoise, olive green shimmer, and Mediterranean blue, and when that was dry, I added stamping with the Area 51 Warning  stamp.
abyss detail stamping
I added the whimsical diver stamp in two layers. One is stamped on cardboard, and fussy cut, and a second is stamped onto a library card, fussy cut, and added on top with foam adhesive. I then stamped the into the abyss stamp onto a small scrap, and adhered it, along with the metal wing (with a little bit of cheesecloth behind it),and chipboard star. I sprayed the outside with a protective gloss spray, and wrapped it with copper wire, attaching a clasp. tin inside, abyss, ALLassiter
 The inside was simple to complete, since it has already been covered with the vintage pages. To the top, I simply added some washi tape,a chipboard piece,button and a fussy cut vintage image of octopus tentacles. The wire from the front wraps to the inside, so it adds a nice line of color, as well. For the bottom, I adhered a playing card to the bottom, and a strip of washi; added cheesecloth/twine to the sides/edges....and then added a stamped and fussy cut Octopus/Cephalopod...to happily slink along the bottom edge. A die, and a star pin stamped image, and little sewing machine charm (because every octopus thinks about sewing) complete the project!
I am going to give this little tin to my husband, for his desk at work. Because...everyone needs a little whimsy during a work day. :)

Thanks for having a look today, and for more inspiration from me, visit my blog at www.sparklinggnome.com! Have a great rest of the week!

Supply List: 
Viva Las VegaStamps!: Whimsical Diver, Octopus/Cephalopod, Star Pin, Area 51 Warning.
Ink: Clearsnap Mix'd Media Inx (black, denim).
Paper: Vintage, digtal download-Stampington and Co.
Chipboard: UmWowStudio
Metal Wing: Tim Holtz

5 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Beautiful tin!

Sandra Strait said...

Beautiful tin!

by belle said...

AMY! I just love this...I want to learn how to do backgrounds like YOU!!

Lucy E. said...

Awesome tin! I love the diluted copper paint idea over the paper-very cool distress technique!

Anonymous said...

Thanks ladies!! I'm loving that you liked my tin!! <3 HUGS!!