Sunday, October 16, 2011

Halloween Treat Boxes - Free Pattern!

I’m not a big fan of horror stories, scary films, haunted houses and the like. They make my heart pound and I scare pretty easily. Maybe that’s why I prefer the spooky but fun approach to Halloween.

When I saw the Eyes Inside Pumpkin stamp from Viva Las Vegastamps! it made me chuckle. The design comes in two sizes (#10871, #10880), so you can use it to create a suite of projects that complement one another. Combine it with Halloween Glitter Stripe paper from The Robin’s Nest and Purple Grandeur paper from Core’dinations and you’ve got all you need to make these three spooky Halloween treat boxes and tag.

One sheet of Halloween Glitter Stripe paper gives you enough strips to decorate about 9 boxes and a couple of tags. One sheet of Purple Grandeur will make all three boxes. I cut in to a second sheet to make the tag. Miracle Tape from Viva Las Vegastamps! makes it fast and easy to secure pieces when making the boxes.

Embellishments

To create the pumpkin embellishments, I stamped the Eyes Inside Pumpkin stamps on orange glitter paper from Colorbok’s Autumn Glittler pack with StazOn Jet Black ink and fussy cut them. I touched up the stamped lines with a black sharpie. To make the eyes really pop, I used a drop of Inkssentials White Enamel Accents by Ranger for each eye. After that cured, I touched the center with a black Pigma Micron Pen (0.3 mm) from Sakura. I applied green chunky glitter to the stems using Crystal Lacquer as an adhesive.

The two Happy Halloween sentiments are #7737 and #8709 from Viva Las Vegastamps! I stamped them on scalloped ovals and rectangles cut with deckle scissors.

Window Treat Box

Here’s a free pattern in PDF format to make the window treat box. I stamped the inside with Happy Halloween from Viva Las Vegastamps! This box makes a great container for candy, jewelry, a key, tickets, etc. I filled mine with Reeces Pieces because I love the colors they come in!

Triangle Favor Box

Triangle Treat Box Pattern

Start with a piece of cardstock measuring 6” x 4”. Score it down the center (3”) along the long side. Then score it from the center of the short side (2”) to the center of the long side as shown. Punch a 1/8” hole ½” down and ½” over from the each of the four corners. Fold along the score lines; fill it with candy or a small gift and threat ribbon through the punched holes to tie the box together. One mini candy bar fits just snug.

Triangular Tube Kiss Box

The kisses container is a breeze to make and could easily be mass produced. Start with a piece of cardstock measuring 5½” x 4½”. Score it at 1”, ½” and 4” along the short side. The finished piece will be a triangular tube that is 5½” long. Fold at the score lines, adhere the ½” piece on the bottom and you’re done! Anchor the end kisses with a glue dot don’t so they don’t fall out when you pick it up. The tube holds 6 kisses.

Halloween Tag

If you’re giving someone something too big to fit in a favor box, just attach a Halloween tag to it! I started with Purple Grandeur paper cut to fit the tag and dry embossed it with the Pumpkin Harvest Cuttlebug embossing folder by Provo Craft. Adhere it to the tag and then lightly sand it to make the embossed design pop. Add your embellishments and your tag is ready to go!

You can see more of my projects on my blog at Create & Craft.

Joe Rotella

8 comments:

Stampo said...

Wow... very comprehensive, Joe... I'm scared of scary movies too.

Beth Hillier said...

Very nice Joe, thanks for the freebies.

Proxxon Tools said...

great project...

Lyneen said...

GREAT POST!!! Love all the super instructions.

Joe M said...

Very cool projects! These would be fun to make to give out at work!

David H. said...

I have to say I really love Halloween an I have loved everything that has came out of the minds of the Create & Craft team!

Jamie said...

Very cool Halloween projects Joe! I hope I make time to do some of these this week! Also, thanks for the free pattern! :0)

Carole Lassak said...

Thanks for sharing the treat box pattern!! Now if you could only share some time, I might get a couple made for Halloween. But def will do some with a Christmas theme.