Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Art journal page - #whatever

Hi everyone,

Hope you're ready for a little weird journal page? It's one of the more simple projects, but also one of my favorites.

I've been doing a lot of gelli printing in the last weeks and want to share a journal page made with one of my prints. Well, it was actually just the remaining color of a previous print that I pulled of my plate. It has a size of 5.5 x 5.5 inch. I just added a few splatters with a spray from Lindy's Gang. It has a lot of white space and the colors mostly concentrate around the edges. Of course you could recreate a background like this with other techniques than gelli printing or by adding white paint to one of your prints.


I chose the 'nice gentleman' from the creanciers stamp as my focal image and stamped him onto a piece of plain tissue. This way it was easy to remove the areas around his head with just a wet brush. I was a little rough while gluing him to my page and ripped a hole to the napkin in the area of the man's shoulder. To fix this, I added a little black acrylic paint and even a little more to make him fade a bit into the background. I also added some black splatters to the whole page but more concentrated around his shoulders. Doesn't it look like he is starting to dissolve?

It took me a while to figure out where this page was going. I thought about adding another element to the forground, but wasn't happy with it and discarded the idea. Instead I added a little stamping to the background. For that, I chose the error stamp as well as the word weirdo from a quote stamp saying "we are the weirdos, mister". I stamped both multiple times in different directions and used two different colors. I also added a little more of the aqua tone from the Lindy's spray to the background. I tried to highlight the reinforcement washers on his eyes and mouth a little with a white marker, but to be honest it didn't make a huge different as the background was already very light. After inking the edges with black, the page looked almost finished.

All that was left to do was stamping the "#whatever" to the upper left corner and gluing the page to a piece of black cardstock to go into my disc bound journal.


Stamps used:
Creanciers (3613)
Error (20558)
We Are The Weirdos (20275)
#whatver (20328)

Other material:
- gelli printed paper
- Versafine ink (nocturne)
- Archival ink (watering can, paradise teal)
- acrylic paint (Liquidex - mars black)
- Lindy's Gang starburst spray (outer space aqua)
- napkin/tissue
- matte medium


See you soon!


No comments: