Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Flight of the Painted Butterfly... March #12tags2015 Viva Las VegaStamps! Style



Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today to share with you some inky, painted stamped goodness... inspiration courtesy of T!m's 12 Tags of 2015 for March. I've created my version of this month's tag using loads of Viva Las VegaStamps! images to set my butterfly aflight in a rainbow painted sky.


This wouldn't be entirely VLVS! style if I used my store-bought tissue tape... so I've made my own with some of my fav VLVS! stamps – it's so quick and easy! Grab a sheet of recycled tissue paper and stamp repeatedly with a variety of stamps using Jet Black StazOn Ink, filling up sheet {see below for links to all stamps used}.


Turn tissue over, line with strips of 3/4" Miracle Tape across sheet and burnish down.
Then gently tear strips apart to give a nice distressed edge. Easy-peasy!


Here's my homemade VLVS! tissue tape – it looks just as pretty as the readymade, right!


Next I applied torn sections of my various tapes to my blank tag.


Now time for the marbelized painted background using Ranger Distress Paint.
I substituted a few colors for the colors I have in my stash.


Dried background after heat setting ready for stamping!


Using Versafine Pigment Ink, I stamped the "Butterfly Striped Large" #9506, then embossed with VLVS! Ultra High Gloss Embossing Powder – which when heat set, really made the black butterfly POP off the painted tag. If I hadn't embossed it, the black stamped image would have looked dull and melted into the background. I repeated process adding the "Small Bee" #19012. I stamped each off onto removable stickyback paper to make masks and fussy cut to prepare for the gilding to come.

Since I wanted to use stamps for the gilded parts, I skipped the steps using stencil with dimensional paste. I have a secret weapon to get a real dense embossing with embossing powder that looks pretty amazing. I apply Globecraft & Piccolo Embossing Powder Adhesive {comes in a dauber top bottle} which is a nice, thick fluid that grabs a lot of embossing powder. I stamped the "Cracked Background" #16208 and "Chicken Wire" #5757 over the masked images and applied gold embossing powder... then heatset to reveal the beautiful gold gilded goodness, careful not to overheat and melt the embossed butterfly and bee. Just gorgeous!!!


Now for the finishing touches... some sari ribbon and fibers to tie off the top and a Tim Holtz Idea-ology metal word band phrase rubbed with metallic distress paints; a pen nib for the butterfly's body {seemed out of place floating in the background}; and a punched distressed painted metal foil paper butterfly using a Sizzix movers and shapers die accented with bronze gems for the body. 

"Flight of the Painted Butterfly"


• • • • • • • • • • • • •


Other Supplies: handmade cardstock #12 size tag; scrap of distressed aluminum tape paper; rainbow and metallic colors of Ranger Distress PaintsGlobecraft & Piccolo Embossing Powder Adhesive; Clearsnap Gold Embossing Powder; Versafine Black Pigment Ink; Sizzix Movers and Shapers Mini Butterflies; Tim Holtz Idea-ology metal word band; bronze adhesive backed gems; pen nib; sari ribbon and decorative fiber.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •


Thanks so much for dropping by! Ready for Spring??! I hope you will join us and play along with the March inspiration challenge {CLICK HERE for details}. Just make a creation using the inspiration above and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win more RUBBER! Take some time to browse around the blog here and the amazing creations from the entire VLVS! Team... there's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. Hope you have a fabulous day!!  Sb

9 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful tag love the colors!

Corrie Herriman said...

Love your 'Vegas' treatment of Tim's Tag ! Beautiful !
Corrie x

Stamped Impressions said...

Beautiful tag!

ionabunny said...

Love the bright vibrant colours. Cool tag. Hugz

by belle said...

Oh that gold with the bright colors is GREAT!!

tycodmom said...

Hands down my favorite tag thus far.

Chark said...

gorgeous--thanks for the tutorial on the tape!

Theresa Bennett said...

Oh, I used the same word art on my tag! Yours turned out very nice. Love the honeycomb stamp.

sarascloset said...

I'm thinking I like your tag more than the original! Love the chicken wire stamp--I have that and use it a lot! Great background colors, too!