Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Ethos tags | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone!
It's Sue Plumb here to share my latest design team project with you. Today I have some mixed media tags to share that I created to showcase some of the fabulous "Ethos" stamps (from Plate #1502) designed by Tina Walker. 

I began by cutting my own tags from some smooth white cardstock using a tag die. I then used Ranger Distress Oxides to create a watercolour style background. I used a combination of three colours (Cracked Pistachio; Twisted Citron and Tumbled Glass) and swiped each of the pads onto my craft mat. I then added a little water using a spray bottle and used the tip of my finger to swirl and mix the colours a little before dabbing the tags face down to soak up the ink.


I then set the tags aside to dry. I love the effect that this technique gives, and the fact that each tag was different.


Once the background colour was in place, it was time to add some background detail. I chose a variety of stamps to use for the backgrounds, stamping each one with Stormy Sky Distress Oxide.
The stamps I used for the backgrounds were:


I added a sentiment to the bottom of each tag using the Create Art Every Day stamp which I stamped using Faded Jeans Distress Oxide. I then used the same ink to stamp out each of the Ethos stamps I had chosen to feature on my tags. (You will see that many of the stamped images are "imperfect" - this is exactly the effect I was looking for by using the Distress Oxides and works well with the hand carved look of these stamps.)


With all of my feature images stamped out, I simply fussy cut around each one and then began constructing my tags. 
Using the Faded Jeans Distress Oxide gave me the inspiration to include a small amount of denim fabric on each of the tags. (I LOVE denim!) I simply cut some scraps from an old pair of jeans and used my Tim Holtz tiny attacher to secure the pieces onto the tags. 


I also added some messy white cotton thread onto each of the tags before using foam tape to mount each of the feature images on top. I finished off each tag by punching a larger hole at the top and tying another scrap of denim fabric through it.


The Ethos stamps I featured on my tags were:
Ethos Hands (pictured above)
Ethos Owl (at left, below)
Ethos Flower (at right, below)


From left to right below:


And finally, Ethos Seeing Double (as shown below).


Thanks so much for stopping by today, I hope I have inspired you to get inky too!


Stamps used: 

Other materials:
- Tag die
- White cardstock
- Ranger Distress Oxides
- Denim fabric
- Staples
- White cotton thread
- Foam tape

No comments: