Monday, August 14, 2017

Mail Art Monday with Jenn Engle

Hey friends! Today I have an envelope to share with you.

Stamps Used:

I started out by putting a layer of gesso on my envelope. I taped off the center of Bug Specimens because I just wanted the frame. I could then heat emboss with black embossing powder to get a blank space for the address. Then, I heat embossed Wildflowers Silhouette with white embossing powder. I did this so it would act as a resist for the next step. 

I added some Distress Oxide Ink to my background to make it look like the sky. Where I had embossed the flowers, there was no ink and you can see the flowers perfectly now!

While my background dried, I took a piece of cardstock and several colors of Distress Ink and used a paintbrush to splatter all over the paper. I used Distress Inks, but any kind of watercolors or even acrylic paint would work. It just needs to be thin enough to be able to splatter with a paintbrush. Once I was happy with all the colors, I stamped Butterfly Specimens and fussy cut several of the butterflies. 

I glued the butterflies down with several strings of yellow thread behind them to make them stand out. I also only put glue on their bodies so their wings could stand up. If I was going to send this thru the mail on its own, I would skip the thread and adhere the butterflies completely. 

Finally, I splattered some watered down Dina Wakley Acrylic in Lemon around the envelope and that was it! To see exactly how I made this, you can check out the process video!

Other Products Used:
Distress Oxide Ink
Distress Ink
Black and White Embossing Powder
VersaMark Clear Ink Pad
Yellow Acrylic Paint

Thanks for looking!


by belle said...

I LOVE the butterflies!!!

Diana Trout {} said...

Love this! I'll have a look at your stamps.