Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My Little Pockat book

Yes! Pocket + Cats = Pockats!

I received a 9 page pamphlet in the mail.  Don't even remember what it was for.  I promptly gesso'd it, painted the pages with acrylic paint, then taped the pages together with miracle tape to form 4 pockets and used it for the contents of my little Pockatbook.  Each page has a second pocket as well.

Supplies used throughout: gesso, Distress Inkpads-Tea Dye, Vintage Photo, Ranger Archival Inkpad-Black, Micron Pen .05, Silk's Acrylic paint-Emperor's Gold, miracle tape, cut up magazine pages sprayed with Fireworks Pear Tart & Cantaloupe, gel medium.

All images were stamped with the Ranger Archival pad.
All of the pages were distressed with inkpads and I used Zentangle®-inspired patterns throughout as embellishment.  Magazine pieces were laid down as a base for each page.  Gel medium was used to glue pieces down.

Supplies for cover
Viva Las VegaStamps! Images used: Tuxedo Cats 15115 
Tim Holtiz Rock Candy Clear Crackle Paint
Grunge Paper
Alcohol Inks-Terra Cotta, Stonewashed, Stream, Copper & Pearl Mixative
Distress Marker-Stormy Sky
Awl & cord

I cut 3 pieces of grunge paper, one approx. 5 x7 for the main cover piece, one at 3 3/4 x 4 1/2 for the cats, and one 1 x 3 3/4 for the title.  I stained the smaller pieces with Terra Cotta, & Copper Mixative alcohol ink, and the main cover with Stream & Stonewashed.  I used the Distress Marker & Micron to write out Pockats, and embellish with Zentangle-Inspired Patterns.

After punching holes in the middle with the awl, I looped and tied a piece of cord that can be used to tie the pockatbook shut, later.

Supplies for Page 1 & 2
Viva Las VegaStamps! Image used: Inquisitive Cat 6791 and Black Cat Silhouette 7185
Sarabinders Small Pocket
Encore Ultimate Blue Metallic Inkpad
Pure & Simple Oatmeal bag

I glued down the Sarabinder Pocket and the Oatmeal Bag (leaving the top unglued so that it became another pocket.  After stamping the cats I added more distress color with the distress inkpads, and more color with the Encore.  Then I tangled patterns all over!

Supplies for Page 3 & 4
Viva Las VegaStamps! Image used:  Serious Cat Face 8673
Coffee Cup sleeve
Sarabinder small pocket
Angelina Fibers ironed to fuse
Flowers previously made from Ice Resin and black cardstock
Stems made from sheet music dipped in Ice Resin
Claudine Hellmuth Studio Acrylic paint-Landscape Green
Inkssentials Enamel Accents
Sakura 3D lacquer/Terri Sproul Mixer-Green Pearl
Color Pencil

I cut off pieces of the coffee cup sleeve.  One piece made me think of an old tub, and the other of a plant holder, so I taped them down.  The long side of the tub was left untaped so it could be used as a side pocket.  I distressed the coffee sleeve with the distress inkpads, then slapped on some acrylic paint.

I glued on the flowery stuff with gel medium.

The splashed water was added with Terri Sproul mixers & dabs of Enamel Accents.

After tangling my patterns, I colored them with color pencils.

Supplies for Page 5 & 6
Viva Las VegaStamps! Images usedKitties Playing Chess 2114  and Kitten And Mouse In Blanket/Sm 3290
Date Due Library Pocket
Amazon tape
Watered down Gesso

I decided to go with half-pockets on this page, so you can actually see some of the magazine pieces that I used as a base background.  I glued down the library pocket and a piece of tape from a box I received from Amazon.  After doing the distress ink thing, I blobbed on some watery gesso, did a little doodling and called it a day.

Supplies for Page 7 & 8
Viva Las VegaStamps! Images used: Steampunk Cat 17720 and Wheeley Cat 18371 
Sarabinder Small Pocket 
Paper Coaster
Distress Inkpads-Salty Ocean and Picked Raspberry
May Arts Ribbon
Ink blending sponge tip

I found a set of paper coasters from Dollar Tree that included this piece of bread and knew it had to become a pocket in my journal.  I glued down the May Arts Ribbon and used the sponge tip to add the colors to the page.  I had a little trouble stamping the Wheeley Cat image because I had used so much gel medium on that page, so I went for a feeling of motion.  After tangling my patterns I added the gesso for the 'mayonnaise'.

Hope you've enjoyed my Pockatbook!

Check out the VLVS! Store for all your stamping needs and the  VLVS! Blog for new projects and news every day. Follow VLVS! as the VLVS! Forum - VLVS! FB - VLVS! Pinterest - VLVS! Twitter.


Teresa said...

your Pockat book is awesome! Love it!

Anonymous said...

They look absolutely great!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! :)

Stamped Impressions said...

Fabulous project!

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS Pockatbook! Love this Sandra!

Sandra Strait said...

Thank you all!

Patricia said...

You are so amazingly creative! Awesome work.

fatmonica said...

This is stunning.I can't believe it started off as a random pamphlet.It looks so much better now!

Sandra Strait said...

Thank you~