Monday, September 23, 2013

The Winning Costume Gets the PRIZE... and a CORN-u-Copia of Halloween Goodness!!!



Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today to bring you some Halloween Treats and inky goodness. I set out to make a fun treat holder with handmade fringe, distress stained acetate, and a handmade acetate prize ribbon... with my Miracle Tape, assembly is quick and easy! Acetate is always fun to work with and it's the current challenge at Craft Stamper's Take It Make It Challenge.


Also - I've made my own crepe paper fringe with Miracle Tape! It's super easy and adds just the right amount of seasonal color and festive texture. First I layered an orange section of crepe paper {about 3 feet long}; then ran a stripe of 1/4" Miracle Tape down the center for the entire length. Then I repeated with black; then tape and repeated 4 more times alternating colors until I had six layers.

   

I added a stripe of Miracle Tape to the back of the first layer; then pressed everything flat to get good adhesion in the layers and folded the whole thing in half. The final stem is trimming small cuts at about 1/4" intervals to make the fringe.


I waited until after I adhered it to my piece to fluff it out.


Now for painting the acetate. I spread some Peeled Paint and Seedless Grape Ranger Distress Stains onto a craft sheet and rolled over with my brayer. This will make a nice drippy background.


I dragged the acetate through the puddles of distress stain, rolled a little with my brayer and repeated until I got the effect I desired. This particular acetate I'm using takes ink very well because it is recycled film from my imagesetter at work {please test inks on your inkjet or overhead projector acetate before trying with your final project}. I let it sit and dry for about a 1/2 an hour and while I waited, I mopped up the rest of this inky goodness with some blank tags and cardstock for use later. Before forming my cone, I stamped the creepy tree with Staz-On Black ink and accented the eerie eyes in the bat, pumpkin and stump with Sakura of America Souffle® 3-D Opaque yellow pen to make them glow.

  

I added strips of Miracle Tape to the length along the bottom edge and also along the short edge where the seam will meet. I formed it into a cylinder shape, exposed the tape and sealed my tube. This is a good time to secure with a couple staples for good measure.


Now a bit about the ribbon rosette... if you are going to attempt this in acetate - you need a hot glue gun and several hands {though I managed to do it with just two}. I reserved a section of stained acetate that was mainly purple and cut three strips using my Fiskars deckle edge scissors. I stamped the winner stamp on a scrap of green/purple stained cardstock and punched out with a tag punch. I gave it a shimmery touch with my Sakura of America Gelly Roll® Stardust® Glitter Pen. The Stardust is my most used of all pens - it's sheer and gives a twinkle to everything. 

Two of the strips I accented with ribbon for the tails. The third section I scored at 1/4" intervals on my Scor-Pal® and accordion folded. Now for the tricky part. Form the accordion into a loop and secure the ends together with Miracle Tape, then lay it flat and form it into a circle. I had another punched tag ready with Miracle Tape to secure the back, but it popped off as soon as I let go. So I put loads of hot glue in the center and sandwiched the top stamped tag on top to hold it tight. I put a glass on top to keep it flat until the glue completely cooled {about 10 minutes}. When cooled I added a small dab to hold the tails on and it's all complete.


I added the fringe and fluffed it pretty; punched holes and laced some coordinating ribbon and filled my cone with candy corn - topped off with some green and purple paper fringe that makes the Prize Ribbon "POP".


This prize is ready to be awarded... or I've earned my sweet reward - LOL!

•••••••••••
Supplies used: STAMPS - "Costume Contest Winner" #19211 and "Halloween Tree Silhouette" #19205. Other supplies: white cardstock; Staz-On Black ink; Miracle Tape; Sakura of America Gelly Roll® Stardust® Glitter Pens; Sakura of America Souffle® 3-D Opaque Pens; Ranger Distress Stains - Peeled Paint and Seedless Grape; Scor-Pal®; hot glue gun; Fiskars deckle edge scissors; recycled acetate; decorative paper shred, candy corn; and ribbon.
•••••••••••


Thanks so much for dropping by. I invite you to play along with the monthly challenge - there's still a week left - make a creation using the inspiration and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win! CLICK HERE for challenge details. Also, did you receive the latest Viva Las VegaStamps! newsletter??? If not - you may have missed the FIVE NEW PLATES on pre-order for 20% off. Make sure you SUBSCRIBE to be IN THE KNOW of everything going on at the Viva Las Vegastamps!. There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure! Sb

9 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

I don't give out too much candy for Halloween, but I may have to make up one of these just for myself, lol! It's beautiful, and I might be able to talk myself out of eating the candy!

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

This is freaking awesome, Susan! It's festive and cute, but so artistic too! I can't wait to give this a try! Whoop for awesome techniques.:)

Squiddy said...

Gorgeous piece, brilliant standout colours, and that halloween tree silhouette stamp is a well-stained keeper in my collection too.

Barbara Rankin said...

This is awesome, Susan. Love all the festive colors you used, and the details are fabulous. I think I want to make one, too.

Angelnorth said...

Love the fringe and the colour looks great on the acetate - I wouldn't have thought of using Distress Stains on there! Thanks for joining us in the Craft Stamper challenge!

Chark said...

I wanna win this! :)

Chrissie said...

This looks awesome, what a great effect you have achieved.
Thanks so much for joining us at Craft Stamper this time!
Chrissie

Trish Latimer said...

Wow! i've not thought of using stains on acetate either! fab idea! Thanks for joining in this month with the Craft Stamper Challenge!