Monday, September 02, 2013

Doing My Part to Creatively Save the Planet...
with my Stash of Viva Las VegaStamps!




Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today to bring you some inspiration using September's Challenge Inspiration Board. I am all about recycling and greencrafting so this was right up my alley... and my crazy "one touch rule" decided to tag along also.



In gathering up goodies to create with I came across an Altoid tin... so this project is also inspiration for the current Viva Las VegaStamps! Altoid Tin Swap {CLICK HERE for swap details}.


I have these scraps of book pages that are leftover from cutting out a niche in an altered book which is a perfect size for ATCs... and for today's project... papering the inside of an Altoid Tin. I put down a base layer of gesso, then overlaid Peeled Paint, Old Paper and Antique Linen Ranger Distress Stains. This made a nice background for scene stamping on top of.


I hammered the lid of the tin to flatten out the raised embossed letters - and it left a nice bumpy texture and rounded convex finish to the lid.


Inside the tin, I primed with a mixture of gesso and Peeled Paint Distress Stain. I mounted and prepared my stamps; "Panda Eating" #963 and "Flower Background" #18369. I stamped the panda onto white cardstock using Staz-On Black ink and added touches of color using my Ranger Distress Markers and waterbrush.


I stamped the flower background onto my painted paper using Frayed Burlap and Peeled Paint Distress Inks; then overstamped with Staz-On Black ink to give the effect of depth in the foilage.


Now to add some color and "POP" with my Sakura of America Gelly Roll® Stardust® Glitter Pens and also Souffle® 3-D Opaque pens. The colors of the Souffle pens are opaque and dry a little raised, and the Stardust pens are translucent and give that touch of glittery shimmer. I really love smudging the color of the Stardust pens around to get subtle color with a little bling.

I finished off with some buttons, a knot of natural raffia and painted corrugated around the outside of the tin – all in the flavor the inspiration above. Built the scene with layers of texture and various chipboard details - a disassembled UmWowStudio Cattails and a balanced in the opposite corner with a decorative flourish; each painted in the same fashion as the book page base. To add that final bit of detail, I ran a bead of Diamond Glaze around the edge of each side and dropped in some pale green iridescent glitter... one can never have enough glittery goodness!

Doing My Part to Creatively Save the Planet...


I hope you are INSPIRED and will link up your creation to this month's Challenge.



Left side detail... with a field of button florals and glittery goodness.



Right side detail with the panda nestled amongst the foliage.

•••••••••••
Supplies used: STAMPS - "Panda Eating" #963 and "Flower Background" #18369. Other supplies: white cardstock; recycled book pages and Altoid Tin; gesso; Staz-On Black inkMiracle TapeRanger Distress Markers; Sakura of America Gelly Roll® Stardust® Glitter Pens; Sakura of America Souffle® 3-D Opaque; Ranger Distress Stains - Peeled Paint, Old Paper, and Antique Linen; water brush; Peeled Paint and Frayed Burlap Ranger Distress Inks; Cattails Chipboard from UmWowStudio; buttons; glitter; Diamond Glaze; and natural raffia.

Thanks so much for dropping by. I invite you to play along with the monthly challenge - make a creation using the inspiration and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win! CLICK HERE for challenge details. Also, did you receive the latest Viva Las VegaStamps! newsletter??? If not - you may have missed the LABOR DAY SALE and the Altoid Tin Swap info. Make sure you SUBSCRIBE to be IN THE KNOW of everything going on at the Viva Las Vegastamps!. There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!


If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure!  Sb

7 comments:

Tera Callihan said...

This turned out great! I love all your layers! Thanks for sharing it!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous tin! great inspiration

Unknown said...

Since I barely joined the group, I am curious what is your One touch rule?

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

My "one touch rule" is something I instituted for myself when I joined my first design team, Unscripted Sletches, in an effort to use up my stash. So it works like this... If I pickup something looking for something I want to use in my project - I use it. Sometimes it makes for an extra challenge; though it does help me from saving and leaving a bunch of leftover bits from projects.

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

For this project - the Altoid tin, the die cut flourish, and raffia were "one touch rule items". There were loads more, but I could only fit so much in this project ;)

Amy Lynne said...

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER COOL Susan! I'm so ready to get working on my Altoid tin! How you created dimension and depth is fabulous. :) You ALWAYS inspire!

Mrs Beez said...

This is brilliant. Just love the colours you've used and that raffia tops it off.