Friday, August 23, 2019

Your Jealousy is Showing | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone!
It's Sue Plumb here today to share my latest design team project with you. Today I am sharing a mixed media scrapbook layout that I created whilst I was away at a craft retreat last weekend. It was actually created for a challenge that was on offer, which was to be inspired by a canvas created by my fellow Aussie VLVS teammate (and friend) Fiona Paltridge. I decided to design a scrapbook layout so I could document these fun photos of my brother and I as we shared a giant margarita.


To create my page, I began with a sheet of Bazzill Marshmallow cardstock. This is my preferred cardstock to use when I create mixed media pages, as with its heavy weight (240gsm) it takes a variety of media well with minimal warping. 

I started by applying some Micador watercolour paints randomly to my background, drawing on the colours from Fiona's piece for inspiration. Once the watercolours had dried, I then added some contrast colours using Dina Wakley acrylic paints which I applied with my fingertips.

To add texture to my page, I also added some torn strips of old book and music paper, and some pieces of tissue paper before adding yet more acrylic paint to help blend the papers in a bit.


Once the colour and texture was down on the page, it was time to add some stamping to help give the page some structure. (Unfortunately, as I had flown to retreat and was weight restricted for my luggage, I only had a small selection of my favourite stamps with me.)


The first stamp I reached for was the Typeset Scallop, which I stamped twice horizontally over the paint on my background using black StazOn ink. This gave my page a horizontal line that I could then anchor my photos to.


Next, I wanted to add some vertical structure to my page, so I used the Rows of Numbers stamp and stamped it near the top and bottom of my painted section. I also added a few scribbles with my Stabilo All pencil to further enhance the horizontal and vertical lines I had created.


Once I had the structural stamping in place it was time to add some layers of texture. I used a variety of materials for my layers - striped tissue paper; punchinella; paper doily and frayed gauze before adding my photos on top.


Once the photos were in place I also added some pieces of twisted coloured wire and some staples; as well as some small snarky phrase stickers.


At this point I thought the background needed some extra black detail, so I used the Waybill/Invoice Background stamp to add a little random text and lines around the edges of the focal area.


To finish off my page, I used the Cross Marks Background stamp to add three small patches of crosses to form a "visual triangle" around my photos. I further enhanced the crosses by using some yellow embroidery thread to hand stitch over a few of them. 
Then it was a few tiny watercolour splatters and I was done!


That's all from me today, I hope I have inspired you to pull out some of your favourite stamps and get inky too!


Stamps used:

Other materials:
- Bazzill Marshmallow cardstock
- Micador watercolour paints
- Dina Wakley acrylic paints
- Tsukineko StazOn ink
- Book, music and tissue paper
- Paper doily, punchinella, gauze
- Small phrase stickers
- Coloured wire, staples
- Embroidery thread
- Stabilo All pencil

No comments: