Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Courageous Mother Nature - Mixed Media card by Cheetarah


Hey everyone, I'm back this week to show you a Mixed Media card I made inspired by this month's Challenge Inspiration Board.

Beautiful isn't it? I got inspired by the nature elements and the green and purple colors.

To start off I went on building layers to get the background texture you see in the card.
The base of this card is a 6x6 scrapbook paper on which I applied light a coating of gesso and then glued on all the paper scraps I keep on collecting at the edge of my desk into a square / diamond shape. I glued it all with modge podge so it's also sealed well. When I was satisfied with the basic shapes I went on to add more texture with a stencil and modeling paste.

I chose dots for a nice contrast with the square shapes and applied messily and let dry and adding more in various places over the card. It's going to be covered up with paint so it doesn't matter if some paste seeps though or is uneven, because it's about the texture! You can see the process of the base HERE. When I was done with the modeling paste I sealed it with Modge Podge shimmer varnish to smooth it out and have a secure base to get the paint to run.

Then comes the fun part, dabbing distress paint on your textured background and get it all colored up! I started off with lighter colors first, chose the left edge, dabbed ink and sprayed water on to get it to run to the right. Dried each layer with a heating tool to set the colors and to get them to stay crisp. I went on until I was satisfied with the color blend and saturation. 

I chose the whimsical tree lady to be my focal point and I stamped and colored her on tissue paper. Adhered it with soft matte gel medium. Did the same with the "she was courageous" sentiment. Before I adhered these to the card I stamped some more nature themes stamps on the card with Staz-on inks in corresponding colors. 

Mother nature was written with Zig wink of Luna in purple and green. And then with a faber castell pitt artist marker. Also doodled around the edges with these colors. I like how it pops from the card. 

Oh by the way, the sun I made on the top left is done with stamping Doodle Circle stamp inked with mustard seed and carved pumpkin distress paints. I just used a brayer to adhere the ink and stamped until the color was opaque enough. I adhered the piece to a turquoise color double card, rounded the edges and called it done.

Stamps used:

Others: 
Modeling paste
Modge Posdge Matte Medium and shimmer varnish 
Distress paints 
Zig Wink of Luna brush pens
Faber Castell pitt artist markers 
Staz-on Inks 
Memento Inks 
Alcohol markers 
Tissue paper
Carabelle Studio and the Crafter's workshop Stencils

Hope this inspired you to play along with this month's challenge :)

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

No comments: