Saturday, May 11, 2013

Take a PEEK... and Don't Forget the SUNSCREEN!!!



Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! It's finally the weekend... which means time to get creative. Susan here today for some weekend stamping fun. I have to admit... I HAVE TOO MANY STAMPS!!! So many that I can't make up my mind what I want to use. Does this ever happen to you? 

I have so many ideas... yet too many stamps – and they just keep coming! So where to begin. I grab a pile of rubber and a handful of sketches and I just get to it and let the creative juices flow. But I'm not really in the mood to make cards today. As some already know, I am the head counselor over at Anything But a Card Challenges – and the current challenge has been "make an A.T.C.". You know A.T.C.'s {a.k.a. artist trading cards}. Well I love making mini masterpieces so today I'm sharing a fun A.T.C. If you would like to play along today is the last day of the challenge - CLICK HERE to check it out {there's a couple familiar faces on the team over there also}.


I live in South Florida and one of the iconic images here is this old Coppertone signage. Upon doing some research I found out the "Coppertone Girl" sign was recently relocated to a new location at 7300 Biscayne Blvd in Miami.


Well I happen to have this stamp in my stash - "Dog Pulling Alien Bathing Suit" #2531. This will be a fun twist on the iconic theme and perfect for a brand new A.T.C. {especially since sunbathing these days might leave you looking like an ALIEN - LOL!}.


I'm going to pair this up with this "Train to Florida" #18199 and only use the sunburst and type and lover part of the right hand side. To do this I am going to color directly on my stamp using my Ranger Distress Markers.


I started with some section of book pages that I have leftover from an altered book I cut a niche out of. This particular paper is about three pages were glued together from some other crafty experimenting. I liked how it looks like stacked pages. These are the perfect size and base for an A.T.C. I primed the book page with a gesso wash, then applied Ranger Distress Stains in Picket Fence and Antique Linen. After heat setting, I'm ready to stamp. I stamped the alien with black StazOn ink, so it would be waterproof against the hand-coloring and blending with the distress markers.


**TIP FOR THE DAY** If you only want a section of your image, apply ink to stamp with a marker for detailed application. This gives you precise placement of ink when a traditional masking technique will not work. This also is a great way to add different colors to one image in a single application. Before stamping, just remember to give a "Huff" of air onto the stamp to re-moisten the ink. This opens up a whole world of versatility to your stamp stash.


To soften the edge and have the image fade out, I removed some of the ink with a paper towel before stamping onto my A.T.C. base.

Who knew aliens are really PURPLE???


My completed A.T.C. – all hand-colored with a vintage beach feel. I finished off the top with a photo corner. So much fun and only using two stamps and my markers. Now I'm ready to hit the beach!!!
•••••••••••

Supplies used: STAMPS - "Train to Florida" #18199 and "Dog Pulling Alien Bathing Suit" #2531. Other supplies: sections of book pages; Staz-On Black ink; Miracle Tape; photo corner; Ranger Distress Markers; Ranger Distress Stains - Picket Fence and Antique Linen; Gelly Stardust Pen and a water brush.

Thanks so much for dropping by. Have you seen what the Viva Las Vegastamps! Design Team has been creating or dropped by the Viva Las Vegastamps! store lately? There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!  If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure... Sb


Get all the details HERE -- hop to it, the deadline to apply is May 30th at midnight pacific standard time. You know you want to be a part of this team... go ahead - give it a try!

4 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Your ATC cracks me up!

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

I'm having a giggle Susan! Aliens on the beach - too funny.
Love your post and you know the rest!

Julia S-W said...

Such a fun ATC Susan!! Love that stamp you've got and the purple behind is perfect! Great to read how you achieved this piece too.
Thanks for posting at you know where and we do hope you'll join us again soon (teehee lol!!).
Juliax

kemchongnang said...

Take a PEEK... and Don't Forget the SUNSCREEN kemchongnang.top!