Friday, January 17, 2014

THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE!

Hello, Tera here. I'm so excited to be sharing my very first Design team project with you. My first DT project was actually inspired by Amy's piece HERE I love the idea of a piece that makes you think and creates a sense of mystery and wonder. I decided to use some of my favorite Viva Las VegaStamps! to create a post apocalyptic feel to my new altered book/Journal cover.

To make this I started by covering the book I wanted to alter with a vintage book page to create a fun background to work with (this was after I placed the Eyelets and wire wrapping). Next I stamped the Man In Gas Mask 2 1/2 x 3  on a separate book page and fussy cut it out so i could play with were to position it. I decided I wanted to add a little grunge to the book so I partial stamped Nautical Collage 3 x 6 1/4 on the bottom left then took a paper towel and immediately smudged the image out a bit. (I also stamped It on a piece of shrink plastic which I later added to the upper right to bring in symmetry to the piece.) The next layer was the fabulous Coffee Ring Stain 2 3/4 x 2 1/4. After the base stamps were placed I added a clock sticker, a lace Doily, a set of Tim Holtz wings and a fragment doll. I added some chain around the angel with a fabulous UMWOW Studio Gear Mash Gear with a tiny heart and golden chips inside. I also added gears above the clock the decide to add a clock key as well. Now that I had the cover built up I decided to add some detail to the spine, I made a fun label with some inked grunge board scraps I had, placed some Eyelets and used a word from the book pages (I adhered this with Miracle Tape, as well as the shrink plastic piece since this fabulous tape is super strong and clear). I decided the Apocalypse 3/4 x 2 1/2 stamp was the perfect word for the side and also stamped it on some scraps from the book page. The Finishing touches were the knob, chain and keys. As well as one of my favorite stamps the Pen Tips 2 3/4 x 2! I decided to only use one of them and stamped it on a piece of cardboard which I had colored with silver Inka Gold, I fussy cut the piece and bent the edges down to look like a real pen nib tip! :D I Hope you love this piece as much as I do. I love the feel of vintage meets apocalypse, the good vs evil, and the pieces of lost history like the keys and pen tips. 


















All stamping was done with Ranger Archival Pad #0 Jet Black except the stamping on the shrink plastic which was done with StazOn Jet Black Ink Pad. 

Happy Stamping Everyone, I hope you enjoy the mystery and sense of curiosity that this piece invokes!
-Tera




4 comments:

Chark said...

stinkin' cool!

VicR said...

Ooh, I Love all the details on this! The Man in Gas Mask is on my wishlist. Cool collage stamp too & I love what you did with that pen nib - I thought it was real. Love the eyelet with wire wrapping too. Awesome. tfs

Tera Callihan said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad you thought the pen nib was real that's what I was hoping for! Also I'm loving. The man in the gas mask too, he a blast to play with! I've been using him everywhere!

Tera Callihan said...

Thank you :)