Monday, February 25, 2019

Best Selfie Ever | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone! 
Sue Plumb here to share my latest design team project with you. Today I have a mixed media scrapbook layout to share that features an assortment of VLVS stamps; a painted background; and (what I consider) my best selfie EVER!


During my recent trip all the way from Australia to Arizona to attend Creativation, I was lucky enough to also squeeze in a day trip to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. The canyon has been number one on my bucket list of places to visit for as long as I can remember, so to finally tick it off was an absolute dream come true!  (And hence why I have called this my best selfie ever.)

To compliment my photo, I chose to use some stamps from plate #927, which features a number of travel themed phrases and images. I decided to pair the stamps with a painted cardstock background using Dina Wakley acrylic paints by Ranger.


To start my page I began by brushing on some of the blue "Sky" paint using a wide brush, then added some of the deep blue "Marine" over the top using the same brush. Next, "Elephant" grey paint went over the top using a small brayer to apply it. Finally, I added some highlights using "Evergreen" with the tip of my finger.


With all the colour in place, it was then time to turn to my stamps to add some depth to my background. I started with the Stitching Lines and Sawtooth Stitching Lines stamps, which I used to add lots of horizontal lines to my page using StazOn ink. This was to mimic the textures and layers of rock I saw in the canyon walls.


Next, I wanted to add some extra interest in the top section of my page around where my photo was going to be placed. With so many lines already on my page, I wanted to use a more organic shape, so what could be more perfect than trees? 
I used the Leaves Blowing From Tree and Weathered Tree, stamping them both out a number of times using "Faded Jeans" and "Iced Spruce" Distress Oxides. I also added some text to my background using the Wanderlust stamp and StazOn ink.


At this point I also added some small torn pieces of woodgrain and chevron print washi tapes before I moved onto creating a layered mat for my photo to sit on. I used a combination of tissue paper, paper doily, tag, small kraft bag and some frayed gauze, which I secured to the page using staples before adding my photo on top.


I love adding things directly onto my photos on my pages, so I decided to stamp out a couple of things that I could adhere to the photo. I used the You Are Here and one of the Set of 2 Hands Pointing, which I stamped onto white cardstock using "Faded Jeans" Distress Oxide, and then cut around them.


Now it was time for the finishing touches. Alongside my photo I added a denim handmade heart from Charms Creations, which I topped with a flair button from Cocoa Vanilla Studio.


For my title, I used a wood veneer word from Corbett Creations and some Cocoa Vanilla Studio alphabet stickers.


I also added a few wood veneer hearts around my page and splattered some copper coloured mist.


The final piece of my page was to add my journalling (although to be honest, I could have written 1000 words about this day and still not come close to expressing how I felt.)


That's all from me today, thanks for stopping by. I hope I have inspired you to get inky too!


Stamps used: 
Stitching Lines
Sawtooth Stitching Lines
Leaves Blowing From Tree
Weathered Tree
Wanderlust
You Are Here
Set of 2 Hands Pointing

Other Materials:
- Miracle tape
- Bazzill cardstock
- Dina Wakley acrylic paints
- Tsukineko StazOn ink
- Tim Holtz Distress Oxides
- washi tapes
- Collage materials (as specified in post above)
- Charms Creations heart
- Cocoa Vanilla Studio flair button and alphabet stickers
- Corbett Creations wood veneer word
- wood veneer hearts
- Colour Blast 'Sienna' Colour Shimmer Spray
- felt pen

1 comment:

Julie S said...

The Grand Canyon is breathtaking, isn't it? So is your page!