Thursday, August 08, 2013

Tag ARTifact from the Pyramids... 12 Tags of 2013 for August Viva Las VegaStamps! Style!!!


Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today to share my take on T!m Holtz' 12 tags of 2013 for August... but done totally Viva Las VegaStamps! Style. Grab your shades... were heading to the Egyptian Pyramids to find some creative treasure.



First on a sheet of freezer paper {because my teflon sheet is currently handling a resin project}, I applied side by side three Ranger Distress Stains - Brushed Pewter, Old Paper, and Antique Linen. I misted my #8 manila tag with a light amount of water then dragged the tag through the puddle of ink. I tapped off the excess liquid and then heat set to dry. 

  

I built up the layers of color with three applications using the same technique above and heat set to dry between layers. The brushed pewter gave a subtle metallic shimmer over the tag that looks like aged sandstone. I overstamped the "Basket Egyptian Goddess" #6101"Mummy Case/Female" #5806 and "Stylized Dog Border" #9827 using Staz-On Black ink. I also stamped each on acetate and a scrap paper to create masks for layering and scene building.


I prepared my masks, two on acetate and the others on paper and adhered to my tag with some removable adhesive runner. The colored image will not appear where the masked areas are. This process of building scenes is a bit time consuming with fussy cutting - but the end results are AMAZING!

   

I mounted the "Nile Flower Background" #1657 stamp and then began coloring with Ranger Distress Markers adding different colors directly onto the stamp. This is a detailed pattern, so I had to concentrate coloring similar sections. This was quite fun and relaxing coloring this large background. I remoistened the marker applied to the background stamp by breathing on it then stamped onto the tag. 


The "Mummy Case/Female" #5806 was not as clear as I liked on the painted tag, though I did stamp clearly - so I stamped it again onto a brushed gold cardstock, fussy cut and adhered with my Miracle Tape right over the top. This did the trick! The gold gave the pop and extra bling that I desired. I went around the edge with a distressing tool for a frayed effect and rubbed edge with a couple colors of Distress Markers. To finish off - I added a pink pearl gem, some additional hand coloring and some ribbon to the top and bottom and this tag looks like it's an artifact straight from the Egypt.

Tag ARTifact from the Pyramids...


•••••••••••
Supplies used: STAMPS - "Basket Egyptian Goddess" #6101, "Mummy Case/Female" #5806, "Nile Flower Background" #1657, and "Stylized Dog Border" #9827. Other supplies: #8 manila tag; Staz-On Black inkMiracle TapeRanger Distress Markers; Ranger Distress Stains - Brushed Pewter, Old Paper, and Antique Linen; water brush; brushed gold cardstock; pink pearl gem; and ribbon/trim.

Thanks so much for dropping by. I invite you to play along with the monthly challenge - make a creation using the inspiration and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win! CLICK HERE for challenge details. Also, you definitely want to subscribe to the blog feed and to the Viva Las VegaStamps! newsletter to be IN THE KNOW of everything going on at the Viva Las Vegastamps! store. There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure!  Sb

10 comments:

maria soto said...

Susan, I love this tag, it's awesome, specially love the Mummy, it seems more like an object you would have added, and not a stamped image. (y)

Anonymous said...

This is sooooooo cool, Susan! I love the theme, so unique and fun. The detail is super fab. :)

Anonymous said...

This is sooooooo cool, Susan! I love the theme, so unique and fun. The detail is super fab. :)

VicR said...

AWESOME tag using Awesome stamps! Thanks for sharing the tut :)

Lyneen said...

Great tag!!!! cant wait to see what tag comes up with next!!!

Words and Pictures said...

Completely cool "Egyptian artefact" - and a brilliant take on the TH tag!
Alison x

Barbara Rankin said...

Love your Egyptian tag. The background is perfect and if I don't already have those stamps, well, needless to say, more to add to my wish list. TFS

Robin Horasanian said...

I love Egyptian designs. I'll definitely take a look. I like the tag.

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I love try ing out the techniques using stuff from my stash :)

Susan M. Brown {sbartist} said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I love try ing out the techniques using stuff from my stash :)