Thursday, May 28, 2020

Wrong is the Fun One

Hey VLVS fans!  As a history buff and one with a dark sense of humor, I thought I would create card using the Plague Doctor with a more positive spin of sorts. For this project, I used the Tim Holtz 3-D Alterations Mechanics Texture Fade, Tim Holtz Texture Fades Skull Damask, Distress Oxide Ice Spruce, confetti, clear plastic sheet, white heavy card stock, metallic card stock, Black permanent ink, Prima Metallic Wax Rich Copper, Small Oval die with another oval die one size up, Embossing Ink, Black Embossing powder, Time Holtz Big Talk stickers, double sided tape and foam tape.

This project is a double-layer shaker card, so the bottom level is the metallic card stock that is embossed with the Mechanics Texture Fade.  The top layer is embossed using the Skull Damask.  I rubbed the folder itself with Distress Oxide, inking only the raised areas, then I placed the white card stock inside to run it through my machine to emboss it.  Once the white top layer is embossed, I used one of my oval die cuts to cut out the center of the card (if you do not have a oval die, you can totally hand cut it out yourself).

Stamp in black permanent ink the Plague Doctor on white card stock.  Allow to dry before coloring the stamped image in with whatever pens, pencils or coloring implements you have.  Once colored, fussy cut the stamped image out.




Position the Plague Doctor within the open window, right sides facing out. Once the Plague Doctor is positioned in the center, glue him down, and then, cut a small square of the clear plastic that covers the hole end to end.  Once properly positioned, glue that down as well.


Cut out strips of foam tape and form a tight, enclosed square on the inside of the card.  Make sure the tape doesn't show from the outside, facing page.


To add a little more depth, use Metallique Rich Copper Wax on the background Mechanics embossed texture.  Wipe on and rub off to create some highlights and more interesting background.


Pour for of your confetti on the inside of the foam tape box.  Depending on your confetti, it might be less that a teaspoon to use.  In my example, I used a bit too much.  Remove the backing on the foam tape and carefully attach the background facing down onto the card, keeping everything aligned edge to edge.


Taking the two different sized oval dies, I cut a boarder with them, and embossed the surface using black embossing powder. Used embossing ink all around the edges, embossing the edges with black embossing powder. Finding the right sayings sticker, I adhered that to the bottom to complete the shaker card.

1 comment:

Jackiebrnc1 said...

OMG I have to have that Plague Doctor!!! I'm a nurse with a very warped sense of humor (occupational hazard), and I found a Plague Doctor and Nurse in counted cross stitch! NOW I'll have them in stamps, too!!! Wickedly fun card!!! I'll have to try one for myself!