Thursday, January 10, 2019

Stay Cool | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone, happy new year! 
I am so incredibly excited and blessed to have the opportunity to stay on the Viva Las VegaStamps design team for another year and share my love of VLVS rubber stamps with you!

To kick off the new year, I have a 12x12" mixed media scrapbook layout to share with you that features a photo of one of my twin boys that was taken only a couple of weeks ago. I created this page to document how in a very short time he has gone from being terrified of swimming to loving being in the pool.

Here is my layout...



To create my page, I began with a sheet of white Bazzill cardstock and some Ranger Distress Oxides in Mermaid Lagoon; Cracked Pistachio; Twisted Citron; and Faded Jeans. I used the "packaging technique" to apply the inks - swiping the ink onto some plastic packaging, then adding a spritz of water before "smooshing" it down onto the cardstock. 




I started with the Mermaid Lagoon colour and then dried it off before repeating the process with the Cracked Pistachio and Twisted Citron. I love the layered watercolour style effect that it creates - perfect for my water themed page!




Next, I used the Faded Jeans Distress Oxide to add some splatters over the top. To do this, I swiped some ink onto my craft mat, then added water before soaking it up with my paint brush and splattering it over the top.




Then it was time to add some stamping! The first stamp I used was the Bubbles (Large Black), using Ranger Archival Ink in Paradise Teal. I added the bubbles in a vertical line down my page then added an extra group of bubbles where the left edge of my photo would sit. (This gave me the "visual triangle" I was looking for.)




Once I had the bubbles stamped out, I chose the Humpback Whale stamp for a bit of fun and to tie in with the water theme of my layout. I stamped the whale twice with the same teal ink, positioning it so that it was "swimming" through the focal area of the page and helping to draw the viewers eye in.





I also stamped the It's a whale of a tale... sentiment several times around the page, switching to black Staz On ink for that one.

With the majority of my background work done, it was time to switch to adding some papery layers and texture. I created a layered mat for my photo using an assortment of tissue paper, paper doilies, paint sample card, a tag, glitter cardstock, frayed gauze and coloured wire. I also added a few pieces of torn washi tape around the page.


Once the layers were in place I added some scrap cardboard to the back of my photo before mounting it on top. I also added a handmade heart embellishment from Charms Creations, and a flair button from Cocoa Vanilla Studio.


Then it was time to finish my page off. I added my handwritten journalling using a felt pen, then stamped the Let Fear Be quote underneath it using black ink. 


I also used my favourite Doodle Dots stamp to add further depth to the background. (How could you not love how this stamp looks?) 

The finishing touch was a few blue and green sequins from Cocoa Vanilla Studio scattered around the page.



Here's a closer look at some of the finished details...




(I am so in love with that background, and glad that I finally treated myself to some Distress Oxides for Christmas!)






You can see where I used my Tim Holtz tiny attacher to fix the wire to my page. I love the extra texture the metal staples add.


That's all from me today, I hope I have inspired you to get your stamps out and create something too. Until next time, get inky! X


Stamps used: 

Other materials:
- Bazzill cardstock
- Ranger Distress Oxides
- Ranger Archival Ink
- Tsukineko StazOn Ink
- Cocoa Vanilla Studio flair button and sequins
- Charms Creations handmade heart
- Assorted collage materials (as detailed in post above)
- Felt pens
- Staples

1 comment:

by belle said...

Great inky technique, I am going to try it!!!