Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Supernova !

Hello everyone,

and welcome to the blog where, today, I am sharing a little tutorial about how I made this tag for my DT post.  I had lots of trouble with it along the way, but I will explain what went wrong and how I rectified it with the photos.
So, get yourself a drink, sit down and enjoy !

As usual I'll start with the finished tag:


Most of the stamps I used for this tag are from the latest release April 2016. 

... and here's how :


I started with a tag that I cut myself. I have on Tim Holtz tag left from a pack and I just use that one as a template whenever I need a tag. I do have a die set but I hardly ever use it. It is just as easy to cut one by hand. 




Next I used a Crafter's Workshop stencil and some model paste and a palet knife to add some texture. 



I dried this with the heat tool. 




Next I painted a layer of gesso over it. 



I then coloured the tag with Distress Inks and a blending tool. 
Love these colours together... Mustard Seed, Picked Raspberry and Carved Pumpkin.


Looked good when it dried. Then I thought I'd better fixate this some how... So I used a spray fixative... first mistake....


It came out all mottled, which I kind of liked. So I decided to continue... 




I then thought the colours needed a bit more oomph so I added some Distress Crayon.... I think I really do not like them... This is the third time I've used them and I have a hard time with them.. 



Anyway.... I then found out that the Distress Ink I used for the first layer was still coming off when I rubbed it so I decided to use Tim's new Distress Collage Medium, crackle of over the top. Of course I knew it was going to smear but I thought that would be OK... This was how it looked and not a crackle in sight.. It might be because I didn't put it on thick enough or because I dried it with the heat tool.. Anyway, everything seemed fixed now. 




Next, the stamping, the fun part ! There is a full list of all the stamps I have used at the bottom of this post. 



Work in progress... 



I then used a white pen and doodled around the stamps.



I wanted to use this gorgeous new star stamp and when I saw this lady in my stamps I thought of putting her in it and that is what I did. 



The star with the lady was then adhered onto the one on the tag with dimensional tape. 
The last thing I did was  stamp the sentiment, cut it apart and adhered it to the tag. I doodled around the words and added a ribbon. 


And here is the finished tag again. I hope you liked my tutorial.... and have learned from my mistakes!

I have used the following stamps :


Thank you so much for stopping by today ! 




3 comments:

Julie Steed said...

I love happy mistakes. Your tag is really stunning, Corrie. Brilliant to add your lovely lass to the star, too. Those colors...yum!

by belle said...

Gorgeous colors and simply marvelous tag!

The Altered Paper said...

The colors are my fave.I always lean toward the orange, yellow & reds myself! And I love the idea of doodling around with the white pen. Seems to give it more dimension! I love your beautiful tag!