Wednesday, April 19, 2023

A Springtime Visit by Madisen Hernandez


Hello Stamping people! It's Madisen here with some mail art today! I named this piece a Springtime Visit because of the nature of the bird being visited by this awesome little spaceship. I added some vintage stamps along with some modern forever stamps. I didn't plan to do negative coloring for the stamps, but it just looked too cool when I took the masks off. I hope you like this mail art and tutorial!





I started by picking out my springtime stamps and setting the layout of my mail art card. Stamps included are listed below


I'm sure most on this blog are advanced stampers BUT if you didn't know this little stamp hack I'm going to share it...
If you don't have time to foam mount your stamp, or weren't able to purchase the wooden block, OR were just too darn excited to use your stamp, you can improvise and use an acrylic block and double sided tape to create a mount.


I will be transparent and say that this method of mounting is NOT my preferred choice. Typically, it leads to more mistakes or less pigmented stamping but again, it's a hack if you're in a pinch. 


Next I created a mask for my stamps, added a stand to one of the bird houses with my mask, and masked an area for the address.



I chose some Distress Oxide inks to blend and coming up is a happy little accident as they say. 
I wanted to have a white checkered background by using this stencil BUT I didn't take into account the previous ink, turning my white checkers maroon. Despite this, I enjoyed the look nonetheless. 



I chose these awesome mixed media background stamps and went to town with navy, orange, and black ink. Stamps used listed below with a link. 



I always love the final reveal after the masks are pulled off, it's like unwrapping a present! I added this Spaceship stamp earlier as a little fun detail and colored it with some alcohol markers for it to stand out. 


Here we are, our final product! Thanks for stopping by and sharing my love for mail art and rubber stamping. Until next time, 
-Madisen

 

No comments: