Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Trick or Treat | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone!
Sue Plumb here with my latest design team project for you. Today I have a Halloween themed mixed media scrapbook layout to share featuring some of the recently released Halloween stamps. Halloween isn't as big here in Australia as it is the US, but it is steadily growing in popularity each year. (My kids think any occasion where you get to collect candy from the neighbours is a great idea, and I am happy to hand out treats to kids who have made an effort to dress up.)


I started this page with a sheet of Bazzill Marshmallow cardstock and some Dina Wakley acrylic paints. I used the colours Lime, Sedona, Tangerine, Lemon and Cheddar. I used several methods of applying my paint - starting with a brush, then a brayer and finally, my fingers! Once I had all the colours down, I went back over it with some white acrylic and my brayer where I wanted to place my photos.


Once my background was dry it was time to pull out my stamps. I started with the awesome Spider Web in Tree Branches and stamped it several times on my page. I followed that with the Bats Over Moon at the top of my page. (I repeated the smallest bat a few times to increase the "battiness".)
I then added the Jack O'Lantern on the right side of my page, before adding the Beware Of: list in the bottom left corner. 


I love the way the black images pop against the warm colours of the paint!


With all the stamps in place, the main structure of my page was all mapped out and it was simply a matter of filling the blanks between them. 
I wanted to add an extra layer behind my photos, and reached for one of my favourite items - some paint sample cards from the hardware store. I love using these! Not only are they easy to coordinate with whatever colours you are using, but they are also free! I stamped them with the Evidence Label for some extra detail before adding them to my page.


Now it was time for some texture! I added some pieces of torn printed tissue paper; a paper doily; some small pieces of punchinella; and frayed gauze to my page and then secured it with staples.


Next, I added some small red ink splatters randomly around my page using Colour Blast 'Sunburnt' Colour Artist Ink and a small brush.


To finish off, I added some cardboard to the back of my photos to mount them up, before sticking them down on the page.


I then added some handwritten journaling with a felt pen and my page was done!


I was really happy with how this page turned out and can't wait to take some more Halloween photos this year to use these stamps again. (First I need to convince my kids to dress a little creepier this year!)


Thanks for stopping by so I could share this with you. I hope I have inspired you to get inky too! 


Stamps used:

Other materials:
- Bazzill cardstock
- Dina Wakley acrylic paints
- Tsukineko Staz On ink
- Paint sample cards
- Collage materials (tissue paper, paper doily, punchinella, gauze)
- Colour Blast Colour Artist Ink
- Felt pen, staples

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cool!