Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Watercolour Bookmarks | Sue Plumb


Hi everyone! 
Sue Plumb here today to share my latest design team project with you. I have been inspired by some of the fabulous tags that some of the team have produced lately and wanted to try my hand at something similar. Being the practical Virgo I am though, I really wanted them to have a purpose, so I decided to make some new bookmarks for my daughter. (She reads constantly and is always losing her bookmarks.)


I wanted to create something colourful (she loves colour) and also something that was a little bit quirky, but also with positive theme for her.
I started by cutting some white cardstock into pieces measuring 2.5x7"; then stamped the background patterns on using Staz On ink.
The stamps I used for my three backgrounds were:


Once I had the backgrounds stamped I added the watercolour using Colour Blast Colour Shimmer Dust, which I mixed with water and applied simply with a brush. (I used the colours Paris; Peacock; and Velvet.) I then set them aside to dry while I moved onto the focal images.


I used some of the left over cardstock and Staz On ink to stamp out the images that were to be the focal points.
The three stamps I used were: 


I used Faber-Castell watercolour pencils to apply colour to each of the images, which I then blended out using a water brush before cutting them out

I then chose 3 quotes to add to each bookmark:

I stamped them onto cardstock; cut them out; then blended a small amount of watercolour pencil over the top. I then used Miracle Tape to stick the images and quotes onto my backgrounds before putting them into a laminating pouch and running them through the laminator.


Once they were laminated, I cut around each of the bookmarks. I used a hole punch to add a hole to the top of the blue one before tying a small tassle to it with twine.


My daughter was THRILLED with her new bookmarks, so I think there will be more of them being made at some stage. (I think these would make great little thank you gifts / teacher presents / party favours for older children - anyone who loves to read, really!)  


Thanks for stopping by so I could share this with you. I hope I have inspired you to get inky too!


Stamps used: 

Other materials:
- cardstock
- Staz On ink
- Colour Blast Colour Shimmer Dust
- Faber-Castell watercolour pencils
- Miracle Tape
- laminating pouch
- cotton tassle
- twine

**Note: the book pictured is called "Nevermoor" by a wonderful Australian author called Jessica Townsend who lives locally to me. I highly recommend this book for anyone who has children that are Harry Potter fans, my daughter loved it**

1 comment:

by belle said...

So colorful Sue! Love them!