Thursday, September 24, 2015

Out of the Blue and Proud: altered cube

Hello my dear crafty friends and welcome to my new tutorial made with delicious (even if those are a bit odd) VLVS stamps.
As you all know I always have a story to share about the " brainstorming"  of my art piece.
So this time it's not different and here is a story.
I ordered VLVS  new stamps set as I wanted to get some stamps that are totally different from my usual Mixed Media picks.
Then, when those stamps came, I was not sure about them. They are gorgeous, but so much not me.
At that moment I felt that I was " out of the blue" ordering them. But them it was like" let's make lemonade from the lemons": lets make " Out of the Blue" piece with blue shade and some new slogan.
So this is how my own " OUT OF THE BLUE AND PROUD" slogan was born. I think that it can be used in many different ways, just like this " Keep calm and..." one.
It can be "out of the blue and going " or" out of the blue and dreaming" or even " or of the blue and feeling great". But those will be used next time. Today I am totally proud with my " OUT OF THE BLUE" 3d foam cube.
So here is my step by step tutorial:
1. Paint the foam cube into a shade of blue color; pick the color that is not totally blue, but close to it.
I used Earth Safe Finishes Rock Candy Chalk it up paint and made just one single layer that covered the foam perfectly. 



2. Cut thick cardstock into 2 3/4'' size that fits the cube . Stamp 5 different focal images and add some backgrounds. You can see the full stamp list on the bottom of my post. I used blue Clearsnap ink and clear embossing powder over each stamped piece.

3. Color the stamped  images with distress markers and ink them over with distress inks. I tried to make them colorful, but to stay mostly in blues (remember the title? ).Add two more stamped images cut outs : those will hold the title panel.

4. Glue all 5 stamped piece over the painted cube. Leave the bottom  as is.


5. Make the title panel using a chipboard. chipboard and sticker letters and 2 stamped cut out images.
I painted the chipboard with inks and clear embossed it . The letters were colored two using different markers and inks. This is how the top panel is looking.

6. Glue the title panel over the cube and your project is done.
This is  one side look of it.

And from other side:


And from the back:
I also painted the back as this 3d project can be seen from all corners.

And from the top:



Now this " OUT OF THE BLUE" cube is on my craft table and I am totally proud of it!
Hope you like it too.

Stamps from VLVS used to make this project:
Cracked background  Item 16208 Plate 1287
Grunge circles Item 19563 Plate 1451
Whimsical rat Item 19531 Plate 1448
Whimsical Beaked Guy in crown  Item 19530 Plate 1448
Whimsical Jester lady Item 19521 Plate 1448
Whimsical Beetle man Item 19525 Plate 1448
Whimsical key man Item 19527 Plate 1448
Whimsical star hat lady Item 19526 Plate 1448
Whimsical Man face- Fish Item 19678 Plate 1457

Other products:
 Ranger distress markers and distress inks
American crafts Thickers
Chipboards from different companies






No comments: